As Smart Home Automation specialists, SMARTHOMEWORKS do not sell Switches and Plugs listed in this page, but we understand they are an important element of your smart home. So we’ve put together a guide for some of the switches and plugs on the market.
As these are all “do it yourself” products, their reliability is sometimes doubtful & may actually devalue the value of your property. While these products could be called “smart” they do not perform the basic functions we deem necessary in an integrated “smart home”.
With an investment in a system with main stream brand professional products, designed, documented and implemented by qualified systems integrator the home owner could expect at least 4 time the return on investment. D.I.Y systems in our experience devalue your property as there is no-one but the home owner to support and maintain them and in our view should only be used on top of a stable professionally deployed system.
Smart light switches are smart power switches that are connected to the internet. They allow you to control the lighting, fans, and sockets in your home. What makes them “smart” is that they also allow you to remotely control your home’s lighting using a mobile app.
There are different types of smart light switches and plugs. It’s important to find one that best fits your needs. To help you narrow down your options, we have listed the latest top smart light switches found here in Australia.
Top 10 Smart Light Switches in Australia
Below are 10 of the best wireless light switches and plugs based on functionality, design, and price:
1. WeMo Wi-Fi Smart Light Switch
WeMo Wi-Fi Light Switch is a smart light switch that allows you to control and automate your lights at home through your smartphone. WeMo can also be programmed to turn your fan on in time for when you arrive home. This device also integrates with Nest Smart Thermostat, allowing your lights to turn on or off automatically based on the movement in the house which can be sensed by the system.
- Wi-Fi capabilities
- Compatible with Apple (iOS 7 or higher) and Android (4.1 or higher)
- Ability to remotely control your lights and fan
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Nest Thermostat
- Ability to schedule and automate your home lighting based on your lifestyle
- No subscription or hub required
Price: approximately $85 AUD
2. Leviton Decora Smart Wi-Fi Switch
Leviton Decora Smart Wi-Fi Switch is a voice-controlled lighting smart switch. This allows you to talk to your smart device to give verbal lighting instructions. This eliminates the need to press the keys on your smartphone to control your lighting. Leviton Decora also allows you to set up your lighting schedule based on your own personal preference, or based on sunset and sunrise.
- Ability to do voice control
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Allows users to program their preferred schedules
- Can control multiple lights with a single command
- Does not need a hub to operate
Price: approximately $72 AUD
3. Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Smart Light Switch
Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Light Switch is exclusively connected to lighting and allows you to turn your lights on or off anytime, anywhere. You can set schedules and enable countdown timers. Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Light Switch also allows you to control multiple light switches at home using a single app.
- Works with one-way connection light
- App works nicely with multiple light switches
- Less expensive
- No hub require
Price: approximately $37 AUD
4. TP-Link Smart Plug Mini
TP-Link Smart Plug Mini works with Amazon Alexa which allows voice control. It also allows you to remotely control your plugged-in appliances, like fan, thermostat, and TV, through a mobile app. Moreover, it lets you program your preferred schedule so your electronic devices are automatically adjusted based on the setup. TP-Link Smart Plug Mini gives you the ability to control all your home’s plugged-in electronics anytime, anywhere — and these electronic devices don’t need to be “smart” to be remotely switched on or off!
- Allows you to program your schedule for automatic controlling of plugged-in devices
- Allows voice control through Amazon Alexa
- Compatible with electronic devices that require 120-220 Volts
- Slim and compact design
- No hub required
Price: approximately $100 AUD
5. Wink Relay Smart Home Touchscreen Control Panel
Wink Relay Smart Home lets you control your smart home with an easy-to-use touchscreen control panel. With Wink Relay Smart Home, you can organize, access, control all your smart home automation products using one device and the same mobile app. This means you can control your lights, room humidity, home temperature, door locks, and more using the same touchscreen control panel and mobile app. This does require the Wink Relay hub.
- Ability to control all smart home devices using one app
- It has built-in mechanical switches
- It has a user-friendly 4.3-inch multi-touch screen
- Can activate microphone and speaker intercom functionality, allowing you to answer your intercom via your smart device
Price: approximately $115 AUD
6. TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
TP-Link Smart Light Switch allows remote control for light switch, and control of your home’s lighting, fan, and other electronic devices. It also enables voice control through integrating with Amazon Alexa. It lets you control your lighting and other devices remotely without the need for a hub. Generally, this product is easy to use and great for beginners.
- It doesn’t need a hub for it to work
- Works with Amazon Alexa, allowing voice control
- Easy to use and recommended for beginners
Price: approximately $68 AUD
7. WeMo Mini Smart Plug
WeMo Mini Smart Plug allows you to control your home’s plugged-in appliances anywhere. It doesn’t need a hub to work and there’s no subscription required. In addition, it lets you set up your schedule so your plugged-in electronic devices are automatically adjusted as programmed. Furthermore, WeMo Mini Smart Plug is small enough so you can stack two per wall outlet.
- Compatible with any electronic device
- It doesn’t need a hub to work
- Compatible with both Google Nest and Amazon Alexa
- Allows you to set up your preferred schedule
- It is sleek and small enough allow for stacking and use of additional smart outlet
8. Lutron Caseta smart light switch
This dimmer works with a plethora of smart home devices.
The Caséta line of switches from Lutron offers an impressive list of features: geofencing, which means your lights will automatically turn on or off when you leave or arrive at home; the ability to schedule your lights to turn on or off at particular times or days; dimming capabilities; and compatibility with a long list of smart home platforms.
You can also control the system using your voice through Amazon Alexa and Google Home, among many others.
The switch itself looks high-tech, with several buttons laid out to control the numerous options Caséta offers.
9. Philips Hue Dimmer Smart Light Switch
It can be used as a wireless remote or as a wall switch, but this switch doesn’t need any installation, apart from peeling the covering off the adhesive on its back.
This switch works with only Hue bulbs, though it’s almost magic when it does. Just turn on the light containing the Hue bulb as you normally would then, start using the Philips dimmer, and it will automatically work.
10. Kasa Smart Light Switch
The Kasa Smart Light Switch from TP-Link is a cost-effective solution for those who just want the smart lighting basics. With a no frills, simple on and off design, the Kasa smart switch is simple to install and an accompanying App provides step by step instructions on how to get the job done in minutes.